August 6, 2013

Serah's Sweets #1

Its been a while since I last baked, ever since I discovered my allergies to all things delicious in fact. So this is actually a recipe from waay back. I used to love making Pandan cake and it was kind of my signature dish this post actually comes from my old blog.

But today (edit: last year) I made Pandan chiffon cake today for a friend who had just left hospital. I have to say its been awhile since I made Pandan cake, probably about a year (edit: another year =="). I lost the original recipe that I has previously been successful with but I found this fabulous recipe that apparently belongs to Masterchef contestant Poh.

Mmmmmm So good.

SO here it is~
Look at that fabulous greenness

Pandan Chiffon Cake

Poh Ling Yeow
10 egg whites (at room temperature)
1 teaspoon cream of tartar, sifted
2/3 cup (145g) caster sugar

10 egg yolks
210ml coconut milk
90ml (4.5 tablespoons) vegetable oil
145g caster sugar
1 teaspoon pandan paste
300g plain flour, sifted
3 1/2 tablespoons baking powder, sifted
pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven at 160°C fan forced/180°C regular.
2. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer till soft peaks. Add sugar one tablespoon at a time a beat thoroughly after each addition till you achieve stiff peaks. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl whisk egg yolks with caster sugar till fluffy. Add coconut milk, vegetable oil, pandan paste and plain flour and baking powder (or alternatively do it the Serah way, cheat and use self raising flour) and whisk until combined. Gently fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture 3 batches.
4. Pour into a 22cm donut shaped removable base cake tin, it's like a cake tin especially for this type of chiffon cake, it even has prongs so that you can cool the cake upside down. (do not use non-stick and do not grease, we need that cake to cling on to the sides after baking or else, it'll just collapse or fall out when you turn it upside down). Bake 25 mins at 160°C fan forced or 30 mins at 180°C, or till skewer comes out clean. .
5. When cake is out of the oven, immediately invert the cake still in the tin, and place on a cooling rack and leave to cool completely (about 1 1/2 hours).
Serves 8-10.
Note: Remember it's SUPER important to turn your cake upside down straight out of the oven, otherwise you risk a deflated pancake like result. (Found that out from experience :[ thankfully my dad was a good sport and ate it anyway [+1 for awesome dads!])
Note2: I substituted the Pandan paste, with two teaspoons of Pandan essence( found at your local Asian grocer) 
You so nasty looking, all gooey and green.
Results: A super yummy coconuty scent and soft pillowy texture! :P This recipe is definitely going into the bookmarks (unsubliminal subliminal messaging)
Sarah Out~